Friday, January 15, 2010

January Thaw 2010 & Exercise Resolutions

It has been nearly 1 month since the big snow we had up here-- and there is still a lot of snow on my deck where the sun doesn't reach. I never thought I see the day where we had snow last that long in Virginia. I don't even think the blessed reprieve of our annual January Thaw, when we get a few really nice days, will rid my yard of the white stuff. However I embrace these few warm by comparison days with great gusto in body, mind, and spirit. Lord knows we needs these each year- post holiday slumps, post new year resolution defaulting..and it has been so bitter with wind chill this year- who wants to leave their house?
I have struggled a bit with the slow pace of this weight loss journey -you imagine with surgery you would be dropping 5-10 pounds a week-(some do- some people who were twice my size to begin with and probably not female- and not over 50! You have it in your head this "magic" tool post surgery has an expiration date of good weight loss of about 6 months-- so when month 3 arrives you may start to panic a little. -- well, I did. So in the new year I was to pick up my metabolism by returning to the gym. That lasted all of about 1 week. I bought a 2 year membership that equated to about $15.00 a month- a bargain . I have about 9 months left on that and I think the gym is beautiful and has nice equipment--but I never really feel like I fit in over there. The incredibly muscle bound manager seems to look through anyone other than other muscle bound men. The ladies who do the aerobics are nice--but OMG how to keep up- I have to go into training just to be ready for a class. I hate to fall out 2/3rds of the way through anything they offer. Don't even mention Zumba- okay???

I gave thought to what was I like about exercise and which exercise have I liked in the past- successfully. The answers were clear. I love to walk ( sans wind chill-20) it is good for my head and body- and with the dog now- I have a good partner. He would go forever. Now granted I have to find paths he doesn't have to smell and re-mark every 10 feet. But otherwise a good walk leave me refreshed and invigorated like nothing else. So I have gone from 20 minutes short freezes- to hour walks this week, blessed January thaw permitting. I have seen the scale start to move again.

I also think often about back in the day- how much success I had at home- with my aerobic step. So I went out and bought a $30.00 one at Walmart put out by Golds Gym, it has a DVD and it fits perfectly right in front of my TV. Speaking of TV- with all the moola we fork over for Verizon TV we have 2 exercise channels- so I can pull out my yoga mat and follow Yoga and Pilates any time thanks to the wonders of a DVR. There are also "dance" exercise programs it seems so I can shake my booty in the privacy of my own home--and not look at my reflection in wall to wall mirrors.

I also feel better about reducing my carbon footprint by not driving to a gym everyday.

So there- it is a beginning- but a good one to make hay while the sunshines as they say. One day the weight loss will stop- who know how far down the track my body is going to take me to Normalville. All I know is I am going to cooperate as much as I can to get there. But to add over the top exercise I cannot keep up- will not help me.

Oh and for fun, I signed dear hubby and I up for a "couples dance class" which I assume is a ballroom type of thing...we go tonight. He says he has "two left feet"-- I am not sure mine are much better-but this is solely for the fun-I have no expectations except to laugh alot, and enjoy being a couple.

So- my current results- today I weighed in at 193. (and I am looking mighty fine I must say!)

I began the journey toward surgery 1 year ago- I started at 248, I went into surgery 11/2/09 at 225 lbs, so that means a total loss of 55 lbs so far, Post surgery weight loss of 32 lbs. which averages out to about 3.2 lbs a week since I am at week 10, I think. I am satisfied- truly, because if not for the surgery this weight loss would be impossible, or impossibly hard.

Thanks for stopping by...Oh, BTW I am now making videos on You tube for fun - with others in the weight loss community. It is a lot of fun and I have made wonderful friends for mutual support and encouragement.

See you next month!

No comments:

Post a Comment